Wednesday, August 10, 2016

5 Reasons Your Kitty Might Not Be Using The Litter Box

Sparty here. Lets talk litter boxes.

Sometimes, we kitties don't use the litter box. On behalf of all kitties, I would like to apologize. We're not doing it just to be funny or rude, there's a reason behind the reason we are using the floor as our box. So, from a kitty perspective, this is why we might not be using the box.

1) A change at home made me mad.
You started new hours at work, your niece is staying with us this week, the guys doing the landscaping outside really scare us, or the new baby is taking away from me. That makes me unhappy. I either don't want to leave where we are hiding to go to the box, or I'm not using the box to show you that I'm unhappy and to get me attention. Give me some extra attention to show me that I still matter.

2) The other cats scare me when I'm in the box.
If your box is covered, the other cats trap me in there when I'm in there. So, of course, I'm NOT going to go in there and get trapped. If you box is uncovered, the other cats are getting in the box when I'm in there and they can see me, I can't go in there when they're watching me! Try putting a cover on the box, or taking the cover off.

3) I don't like the litter.
If you didn't change the litter, you should try using a different kind. I might suddenly no longer like it. The texture might be wrong on my feet, it might be too dusty and hurt my nose, the smell might be too "man made" or citrusy for me (cats don't like the smell of citrus, guys!) Try changing the type of litter it is. If you want to stick to clay, try different types of clay litter. It might just be the type and smell. If you're using clay and its just not working, try pine litter! Thats what the Angel's use here at Pet Angel; they're pellets made out of pine trees. Its natural, and its not dusty! 

4) The location of the box is not ideal.
There might be something near the box that I don't like. Machines that make noise, toilets are sometimes scary, the door by the box might open and scare me! The dog kennel is pretty close to my cage an that freaks me out. I'm getting too old to walk down the stairs now, so I can't get to the basement. Sometimes, lets be honest, the house is to big to get to the box in time! Try moving the box someplace else. Even try getting another box and put it someplace else, as well as leaving the other box to where it is. 

5) I'm sick.
We have to do things sometimes that are wrong to get you to pay attention to us when we need to tell you something. When we're sick, we hide it. Its a cat thing. But when I'm sick, I can't tell you that I'm hurting. The way we tell you is by going out of the box. We know that will get your attention, so that's why we do it. 

                                                                                                                                                                   

This is the most common reasons we may not be using the litter box, it doesn't mean that they are the only reason. If none of these work for you, try talking to your vet or looking up different ways you can help us. But please, don't give us up because we are difficult. Would you give up your kid if they kept having accidents? No. So why would you give us up?

No comments:

Post a Comment